Inspiring Golf

"Golf is a good walk spoiled." - Mark Twain

Subscribe
Add to Technorati Favourites
Add to del.icio.us
Thursday, October 22, 2009

Mizuno MP 58 Irons

Posted by Inspiring Golfer

The Mizuno MP 58 Irons have a much thinner sole and top line than the older MP-57 model aimed at enhancing forgiveness for the player by keeping the centre of gravity close to the clubface whilst the beveled sole and flattened mid sole improve ball contact at impact. The head size of the Mizuino MP 68 Iron is also a little bit smaller than the MP-57 but the half cavity design actually delivers a 10% increase in MOI. These developments mean that the MP-58 Ti Muscle offers the shape and control you would expect from a tour iron while offering much more forgiveness


When we got the Mizuno MP 68 irons on the range, we immediately noticed that the MP-58s have a much thinner sole and topline than the old MP-57 model and Mizuno say this modification has enhanced forgiveness by keeping the centre of gravity close to the clubface. The new design of the MP-58 Ti Muscle performed very well, although if we had to be picky, the feel was not quite as good with the multi-material head as with a 100% forged steel head. The mid to short irons were lovely to hit, especially the wedge. Visually the head of the longer seemed a little shorter relative to the mid irons and if this is a concern for you then you can easily replace the long irons with the MP Fli-Hi or the MX300 long irons instead. Overall though this is a great iron for those who want a good players irons with a bit more forgiveness than a blade.


Mizuno MP58 Irons


I purchased the 58's a couple days ago after hitting them, along with the Mizuno mp68's, in the Online golf store " Discount Golf Clubs " for an hour each on two separate days. I was hitting the 68's as well as the 58's. (Mostly 6 iron.) And the 68's felt GREAT! But, I knew that out on the course when I'm not hitting off a forgiving mat on a flat lie and not hitting ball after ball the results would be much different. So I went with the 58's.


Played with them yesterday very unsure what to expect as I have only been able to play a couple of times this Summer. But they worked great! The feel may not be that of a full on blade but that is the compromise you make for a bit more forgiveness. I also have a PW, 9i and 8i in the 67 model and may work those back into the set next Spring when I am playing more regularly.


I know some golfers felt the longer clubs were not as forgiving but I fell in love with the 4i. (I don't use a 3i much as I have a hybrid for that length.) And, yes, they look great. I was a Titleist player for many years and still use Titleist woods and putter. But I switched to Mizuno 2-3 years ago when I bought the 57s and I really like the Mizuno feel. Now if I could just find wedges that have the Mizuno feel but that are a bit closer in weight to the Vokey's.


The MP-58s are a step up in forgiveness and a bit longer, which is exactly what I was looking for. It plays like a blade with the forgiveness traits of a cavity back. I also liked the thin top line of the club. The lofts are 1 degree stronger compared to the 67's but I did not notice a real difference in ball flight, just a little longer. They do have a little bit of a dull feeling compared to the 67s and 68s, but not much. If you like blades/muscle backs, I would highly recommend you give these clubs a chance. The Mizuno MP-68 Irons were also a step up from the 67s. Guess its all comes down to your preference. Good Luck.

0 comments:

Post a Comment